Tuesday 22 December 2009

Sydney, At Last--And the Trip continues.....

It’s December 17, and we are in Sydney. Our Sydney guru, B.V.H. (Brian Vanden Hogen) kindly met us at the airport in the zebra zoo car and took us to his condo, showed us the ins and outs of St. Lennys (St. Leonards, his burb) and told us he and Jane would be back at 6:30 to take us for dinner at the Union Hotel--and we thought the Union was only in De Pere.
Like De Pere’s Union, Sydney’s has the same comfortable
feel, especially after some food and wine. It was a lovely summer eve, so, after dinner, Brian drove us to the harbor where we look at the beautiful Opera House, the Harbour Bridge, and Luna Park. After a quick tour of the local attractions in the Crow’s Nest, Brian and Jane left us at the condo to get our beauty sleep. Yes, we need lots!
Friday was overcast and rainy, but we took the train to the CBD (Central Business District) and toured the Opera House. The outside seems less impressive than the pictures, but the tour is fascinating and the guide tells us all manner of interesting historical facts: the construction began in 1959 and was completed in 1973, the cost was 15xs the original projected cost, but it was paid for in 18 months by a lottery. We walked through The Rocks, an area whose cultural and architectural significance has been preserved, and, unfortunately, turned into a kitschy tourist trap (I love it--there are all kinds of back stairs and alleys and interesting shops are all over the place--Uggs anyone?) We also booked a climb on the Harbour Bridge--Why do I do this stuff? Oh, I just remembered, it might be fun and I’d hate to miss any fun!
We’ve become denizens of the St.Lenny-Wynyard train, and Saturday was a perfect near-summer day. We “trained” for the bridge and arrived a little early, so they asked us to join an earlier group. That was fortunate because we were only seven instead of the usual 14. Distracted by the preparations of the climb, I did not have time to get downright scared. We signed papers which absolved everyone but us of responsibility, took a breathalyzer test, put on a kind of light-weight flight suit to which they attached everything: hat, glasses, radio, a ratchet-like ball that would attach to a line so we could not fall off or jump off, and even my clip-on sunnies were attached to my glasses with a tie wrap! We did some practice climbs and descents, then started out. We walked along a grating above a small park and then climbed around a pylon to walk over the road bed. I did not look down! The worst were the ladders that led to the walk on the arch. I climbed one ladder and skinnied to the next one and kept going. By the time I got to the fourth ladder, I wanted to turn back, but it was too late. Steve shouted encouragingly that I was almost there, but I was looking out at nothing--except a two-foot cat walk that shrunk in front of my eyes until it was only three inches wide! I screwed my courage to the sticking place and stepped out on the cat walk. That led to the arch walk which was wide and solid--and I was good. The views were fabulous: the Opera House, homes for politicos and royalty, container ships passing below, and John Travolta’s spread as well as the Kidman-Urban home. Back down was easy and getting the equipment off felt good. What felt even better was a plate of fish and chips washed down by a cold one at the Glenmore Hotel in The Rocks.
The perfect end to a perfect day was catching the Manly Ferry to Lady Jane’s and Lord Brian’s (hereafter known as LJ and LB) for a gathering/eating fest. Lots of delicacies like prawns, lamb chops, and delicious goat cheese. They also had friends over, so we met many people with interesting stories. Pieter and Kim were there also; that meant we had a good time talking about De Pere and the fact that we were all missing Jason’s graduation from law school celebration (way to go, Jason).
Deej Beads are now in the southern hemisphere! Thanks, David--they look great on everyone. As to the gardens, I’ve already seen parsley used as a border--will continue to check the veg gardens.
Sunday we caught the train for El Alamein Fountain for Geno’s picture. It’s a “relaxed” area with a small outdoor market and plenty of people to watch. From there we walked to the Woolloomooloo area (are there enough O’s in Scrabble to spell this?) and then to St. Mary’s Cathedral. LB texts us to come for dinner--no leftovers, he says (are you kidding? Of course there are no leftovers--LJ and LB have such good food that nothing would be left). We headed there and meet Sallie, a neighbor, and enjoyed small birds, (sorry, I can’t remember what you called them) asparagus, and a wonderful leek casserole.
At last, motorcycle day arrived. We took a taxi to the shop and our bikes were already in front of the shop. Mine, a Yamaha V-Star XVS 650 cruiser, looked good, seemed fairly simple to run, and I got my gear on. When I tried to get it up and turned around for a trial run, I died. It was all I expected and worse. After some tears and recriminations, I started on a practice run. It’s not good, this hog wanna be. I stopped and said I couldn’t do it, but Steve didn’t give up: Gosh, ra, you look really good on it and it really sounds good and just think of all the lives you are saving all over Australia with those loud pipes. A couple of left turns and a roundabout later, I headed back to the road out of town. Well, at least I can hold it up--thank you, XO Fitness: Angela, Lori, Karin, and Ryan--I don’t think I could have done the bridge climb either without you. We stopped for the traffic signal before the turn out of town. When the light changed, I waited for the oncoming traffic and then took off inspite of the amber light. After that, I settled. We stopped in Leura for lunch and then sought out the Three Sisters (a rock formation). So far, so good. But by four o’clock, I had butt lock--I couldn’t move. We stopped at a little tea place, and I managed to get off the pig. Refreshed by the tea, we continued to our bed and breakfast. Jenny, of Jerimudi B & B, greeted us and showed us around. What a great place high above the Hawkesbury River--a swell pool and a comfortable water bed. Kevin brought us cold drinks and we watched a DVD of the place. After dinner, we swam and then fell into bed.
Tuesday, we ate a delicious breakfast and started out for Hunter Valley. What a great ride: lots of twisting and up and down on a well-maintained two-lane road with not too much traffic. Again, butt lock set in and then my feet went to sleep--every small bump was excruciating. We stopped in a pull-off and rested. Then on to the motel and a refreshing swim. The pig and I have come to an agreement: I will refer to her as Miss Piggy, and she will be kinder to my derriere.
Jeanne, I love the Chico slax you directed me to in FL last winter. Thanks.
Jeannie, they use salt and not chlorine in the pools here--or at least in the two I’ve been in. M/C to you, Jo, Doug, and Linda. Tell Linda I don’t know where heifer fits in.
Jean C. Miss Piggy is no Royal Enfield, but maybe the RE wouldn’t have been so great if I had been riding it at 100
clicks instead of 30! By the way, LB is Moe’s (of the blog) son.
Okay, LB, we’re caught up!

ra

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like an amazing adventure so far! The Bridge Climb...400 ft? Yikes! I had to look it up, very cool! (www.bridgeclimb.com) Thanks for sharing your adventures with us! I'm going to head out for a run on our snowy streets this morning. -Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, Steve, if RA looks so good on her Pig, I want to see a picture!
    jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ozzie,ozzie ozzie., oy,oy,oy. Have you heard this one yet? Glad my boys are better than walmart greeters,, food will always be tops with them and theirs. Wow both of you did the climb!! Not too shabby. One on us, but not Jessie and Bob. Good company thrill seekers.
    Can't you soften up Miss :Piggy RA? Grab a sheep and skin it, I dare you. ENjoy the coast, Merry Christmas and the best from CO. It's a blizzard here but we're warm and cozy. Made spritz today and we'll chew a few for you both. Mo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giddy up! tame that wanna be hog ra. we are thinking of you and having a champagne in your honor tonight as well as fresh snapper on the BBQ!. enjoy the country...it's amazing. merry christmas LJ and LB :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, it should be Christmas day there, so Merry Christmas. I have doubts your Christmas will be white, unless you find a beach.

    Enjoying the blog and the SPOT plots. I guess you know, now, why cruiser types don't do as much touring on them, eh?

    Don't fall off. :-)

    Jim Shaw
    In snowy, soon-to-melt Hinckley, Ohio USA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy the fun never ends travelling with the guys! Love the line about looking good on the pig-as if that matters (men are so shallow). We were berthed at The Rocks and watched the bridge climbers from our ship so enjoyed the up close commentary. Glad we opted for a trip to the zoo instead. Merry Christmas! Just think, we'll be a the tip of the world next year this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year from CO. Just saw pix from SMH of last night's fireworks in Harbour. No fog, how lucky, we were worried. That would have been a bummer. Hot?? Piet and Kimmy called at 6 am to wake us up and send the New Year this way, it should be here shortly. We will be here playing games with all till midnight. Going bowling now., How was Zoo? Will check later Mo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy new year after the fact.
    cold continues here. we enjoy seeing your travels. think I invited others to watch. good traveling. Jim

    ReplyDelete